Part of the Pack

Three months after graduation, the time had finally come for me to say my goodbyes to Syracuse. I had finished up my work with Time Warner Cable Sports, the Chiefs, and as an Instructional Associate with the TRF boot camp. It seems that I always forget how much I hate moving until that time comes around again. Anyways, I packed my Jeep up and made the trek back to Detroit. The plan was to stay there for four days, spend some time with the family and get my things in order for the final move to Chicago. The best part of being home was being able to see my cousin who was back from the Navy for a week or so. The last time I had spent time with her was after her graduation from undergrad in 09. Needless to say, my time at home was well overdue, but the time had come that to make the last step in my move.
I made the move on a Friday and would start work the following Monday, allowing for a lot of fun in the City before I sign my life away. Catching up with old friends and getting acquainted to the area was needed and it was fantastic to enjoy my free time. Anyways, the first day of work came and as always, it was your standard first day. I was paraded around as the new guy and met more people than I could ever remember but I knew over the next week or so, I’d get to know everyone. Plenty of paperwork was filled out and I started to learn the history of the club. However, to my surprise, at the end of the day, I had three projects dropped in my lap with timelines of roughly 2 weeks.
I’ve been in my position for 2 weeks now and have both projects done and submitted on time with approval. My first edited and produced piece will air on opening night, congratulating last year’s Captain, Nolan Baumgartner, on his assignment as Assistant Coach for the club. It’s excited to know that my work will be seen by nearly 15,000 people on opening night. It’s a very exhilarating feeling! Today was also our first shoot day for a season long documentary that we’re going to produce. The idea is to follow styles similar to 24/7 on HBO and share the drama of the series online with our fans. I can’t even begin to tell you how proud I felt when my boss saw the rough’s from today’s shoot. She loved the composition and the lighting and knew that this project will turn into an amazing piece. Without the education and experience that I received this past year has certainly set me up to succeed in this position and I will forever be grateful for my time with Newhouse.